Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Being a newbie...

I saw an excellent thread on the Tom Kyte Blog, about a question of a newbie DBA who wants to get a quick answer.
see: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2006/01/rant-for-today.html

I also find it important to know what you're doing. It takes a lot more time to get the "real" knowledge, but at the end you gain a lot of time in troubleshooting.
I must admit that I sometimes look into a "quick-fix" too. Being a consultant it's not that evident; the customer wants to get a solution as quick as possible... If you saw the problem already before, you can provide a quick solution, but if the problem is new, you should investigate, test and proof what you're saying (going to say).

As Tom too, I learn a new thing every day. Sometimes I forgot things or I can't find it in my archives, than there're these blogs which remembers you again...
I find it sometimes frustrating to "lose" knowledge or not knowing what you're doing. The technology is going soo fast, you just can't know everything anymore!

I know a bit of "everything", but I try to know a lot of the Oracle database, as I find this the most interesting soft on earth.

No comments: